Well I never expected to be this long away from the ‘blogosphere’, but I certainly have been busy with both ward and town-wide issues.
Town-wide we’ve had:
- Increased number of Southend children going to the four Grammar Schools;
- Near record levels of reception children getting the school of their choice (always a difficult time, and I feel very much for parents who don’t get their catchment primary school), even though the birth-rate and number of children starting school is at record highs too;
- Six good Ofsted results across the town since November (including three schools moving from Requires Improvement to Good – meaning an increase of 1,500 of our children now going to the standard of school I desire all of our schools to be at); and
- Some wonderful music at all standards put on by children from 5 to 18. (note to self to upload some photos from the Southend Makes Music performances at the Palace Theatre last month) This includes the Southend Youth Orchestra that is going from strength to strength in the 18 months or so it has been going.
Ward wise we’ve had:
- Helen Boyd introducing herself as part of the Conservative Team for Blenheim. Together we’ve conducted a survey of all households in the ward – results to follow soon;
- Neighbourhood Action Panels (public meetings with the police);
- Continued monthly in ward surgeries;
- Great news about the ‘joint hub’ status of Kent Elms and Leigh Library – meaning that whether you live in the south or north of the ward you will still be able to access in a professionally staffed library; and
- Wonderful news on Albany Laundry – it looks like it will finally go ahead and be cleaned up with new flats/houses with sufficient parking will be provided.
Progress has also be made on the A127 Kent Elms crossing – the 1960’s crossing not really fit for 2014 – this takes a lot of time and money, but progress is being made!
Here is Helen Boyd – your Blenheim Park Ward Conservative Candidate for Southend Borough Council elections on 22nd May 2014, outside the fence we had fixed (thanks LTC!) in Randolph Close only yesterday.
More blogging before the month is out. Promise!
For matters relating to elections this website is hosted by WordPress, and Helen Boyd is promoted by James Courtenay, c/o SWCA, 67 Leigh Road, Leigh-on-Sea, SS9 1JW